Monday, March 9, 2009

Great minds think alike...

So for the last few months, I've been kicking around an idea in my head. I gave up watching the news on television years ago, preferring my television-watching to be pleasantly escapist. However, in the last few months I've realized I don't like reading it online or in print either. I've become tremendously uninformed, but I am actually a happier person.

Apparently Brian Williams of MSNBC had the same thought. A little while ago he sent out pleas to his viewers to send him ideas for good news stories. Apparently he received thousands in reply. So I guess I'm not the only one who's sick of the negativity. I've decided I'm going to post a roundup of the best good news stories I can find each day. I am just posting links. I take no credit for any of the writing/researching/editing/reporting or any of the work that went into producing these stories. I'm just sharing the links. 

So here goes...

Today's happy thoughts:

Vietnam pilot reunited with man he saved - This is a story about a heroic Vietnam pilot who meets a man he single-handly saved 39 years ago. (Wave 3 News, Louisville, Ky.)

Austin doctors help Haitian boy with heart defect - A little boy from Haiti receives the medical treatment on his heart he needs for free from a non-profit (Bizzy Blog)

Positivity: Amazing tale of the dead man's penny - Not as creepy as it sounds. This one reaches back through history to track what happened to a World War I hero's medal of honor that was lost nearly 90 years ago. (Bizzy Blog)

Man's best friend becomes widow's biggest comfort - It's a little sad since it starts with a tragedy, but it has a happy ending. And really that's all that counts on this blog. (760 KFMB radio, San Diego, Calif.)

Man gets his ring back after 26 years - MIT students are very smart but occasionally still lose things like the rest of us... (Dothan Eagle, Dothan, Ala.)


No comments: