Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A crusader, minus the cape...


I will fully admit to having completely taken up the cause of pit bulls. Working at the shelter I see so many come through who are smart, sweet, loving and energetic. They sit there forever while aged cocker spaniels, biting chihuahuas and bull mastiffs with hip dysplasia are adopted left and right. I actually had one pit bull there so long I taught him to take a treat out of my mouth without so much as a lick to my face. Yes, this was the breed of dog that is perhaps the most feared on the planet, particularly by SUV-loving moms with 2.3 soccer-playing kids. I had one "little" girl who got jumped by the other dogs in her house crawl into my lap for pets when I sat down in her cage. 

I stole the December 29 issue of Sports Illustrated, pictured at left courtesy of livejournal blogger rinalia, from my dentist's office, so I could mail it home to my mother for her to read. Michael Vick's Bad Newz Kennels were the talk of the sports and the dog world for awhile as well as the general public (for about 15 seconds). I found a story yesterday from the Washington Times that followed up on Gracie, one of the 47 pit bulls rescued from that hell hole. 

ABC News' web site had a story with the family of the three year-old who wandered into the Missouri woods for three days, which you should check out if you're really looking for irresponsible "ownership." I still think people should be made to take tests before they are allowed pets or children. Granted, this child did unlock a deadbolt, but these parents, from all the accounts I've heard, do not seem like the brightest bulbs. I suppose I should actually get to the good news bit - the child was found in very good shape by a volunteer searcher who was only out looking because he was rained out of his construction job. The child suffered only a few scratches before being returned to his parents. 

Scripps News Service reported on the graduation of a very special Clemson student last week. Meredith Harper, diagnosed with Grave's Disease in high school, worked through her health condition until junior year of college when she suffered a stroke and basically had to relearn everything - walking, talking, math and science, how to eat with utensils. But two weeks ago, she graduated at age 25 with a bachelor's degree in health science.  Harper had a lot of ups and downs, but she had a great attitude and a large support group to help her through, many of which were at her graduation to cheer her on.

No comments: