Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baking for the cure...

Over this past weekend, I baked my first treats in my new kitchen, which may or may not be 64 square feet. I made cupcakes for my old roommate's birthday as well as a Baltimore peach cake (minus the peaches due to them having turned). 

It was nice having counter space, but in no way does this kitchen resemble the one of my dreams that has marble counter tops that are high enough for me to use with out bending over too far, lots of work space, a huge double door refrigerator/freezer, lots of natural light and a whole wall devoted to a pegboard that holds all my pots/pans/cookie cutters/misc tools. 

Clearly, I watch too much HGTV.

While deemed delicious by the eaters, my baked goods in no way resembled the one featured in the Vail Daily (shout out to my friend Anja who put this on Facebook). A cupcake measuring 1224 pounds has been certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest in the world. The triple vanilla cake with pink frosting took 12 hours to make and has 800 eggs and 200 lbs of both flour and sugar. The sweetest part (sorry) is the slices were given away in exchange for a donation to Susan G. Kommen for the Cure. 

Special occasions to me = cake. Or some other yumminess favored by the honorees of the day. Living so far from my parents limits my sending of baked goods to those that are sturdy and less perishable than others. Thus, the cupcake in the picture is the closest I'm going to get this year to sending them cake on their special day. Happy Anniversary, Mama and Daddy! 

(Photo courtesy of Vail Daily)

No comments: