Monday, June 22, 2009

New to you...

I actually thought that phrase was fairly clever when whatever TV station unveiled it as a way to palatably serve up repeats. I didn't have a whole lot of time to watch TV in my old job, and I didn't have a TIVO or DVR (still don't actually), so I missed a lot of episodes of my shows. To get sidetracked, yes, I am aware my parents have TIVO and I don't, but my rationale is that I really won't get to the old episodes by the time the new ones come around again, so I might as well just wait for the season to come out on Netflix

Anyway, I'm aware that most of you have far more to do at work than read my little old blog, so you may have missed some stories I've posted in the past. Now, I'm not actually re-posting those articles, but I have found follow ups in the papers on the original stories that I thought I would link to. I personally enjoy finding out "where they are now" so I thought you might too.

In my post entitled "It's a Small World," I had a story on Henry Allingham, who was Great Britain's oldest living WWI vet after he celebrated his 113th birthday. Yahoo! News has now reported he has become the world's oldest man after the previous title holder passed away. Allingham has seen three centuries turn, six monarchs and has five grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, 14 great-great grandchildren and one great-great-great-grandchild. 

In a similar vein (and this is actually new to you), a Ukrainian family separated by World War II was set to be reunited by the Red Cross two weeks ago according to the Citizen in Laconia, N.H. The siblings had been separated first by foster care then again by the Nazis. All are in their late 80's and early 90's and were looking forward to the reunion.

My post last week called "Mmmmmmm...," was food-centered mainly because I am. : ) I have absolutely no idea what sparked it, but about six months ago I completely changed my diet to fresh, seasonal foods. The day after I posted on that topic, I found a story on msnbc.com about the White House's vegetable garden. Mrs. Obama invited the elementary school students who helped plant the garden back to the mansion to help harvest what they sowed. The kids were then invited to help prepare and then share in a meal created from and consisting of the produce from the garden. 

MSNBC.com also had a lovely little story that caught my eye. The headline was "Lottery winner plans to grow better carrots". How can you not click on that? It seems the 74 year-old lotto winner in the UK is an amateur gardener who has never been able to grow carrots in a part of his garden. With part of the $41 million prize, Brian Caswell is going to hire a professional to sort it out. How cute is that?

(Photo credit: www.citizen.com)

No comments: