Monday, April 27, 2009

Weird, wild and wonderful...


Good morning from a fabulously, legitimately spring day. Yesterday was wicked hot for most of the day, and I was afraid we'd skipped spring like we did last year. Today is still supposed to get to 78 but I have a nice, cool breeze coming in through my office window. I'm a happy girl. : ) 

Today's stories aren't so much strictly good news as they are just kinda unusual. Each of them caught my attention for a different reason, but the theme of the day was definitely just left of mainstream.

I was at the animal shelter yesterday, having a ball with the dogs. I took one named Ernie for a walk. He was a mix of miniature doberman and something else, and he definitely had a Napoleon complex. He practically marched around the yard with his little chest out. Fortunately, he, like several others there, had been adopted and was waiting to go to his new home. The Corning Observer tells the story of Weaver, a mutt with a special challenge, who had a similar happy ending.

The first story I found today peaked my interest from an historical perspective. I nearly majored in history in college before wondering what exactly I would do with that later...I grew up in a family that took a lot of field trips to local Civil War monuments, parks and sites, and as I've grown I've taken my own interest in that particular period of American history. I was intrigued by the story reported by CBS 3 in New Jersey of a woman who received a family bible back as a gift from a book collector 150 years after it was lost.

MSNBC's story on the successful removal of a tumor from a Saudi Arabian woman isn't exactly for the squeamish. I did pick a story with a less, shall we say, graphic photo of the woman, though. The thing is, the tumor was 40lbs and located in her pelvis. She was told she had no hope by the doctors in Riyadh, but five operations later, doctors in Berlin have erased all of the malignant growth.

Finally, CNN reported on a revival of a practice I didn't think was especially legal. Apparently small towns across America have begun to print their own currencies. Common during the Great Depression, people today have set up complementary currencies to encourage local spending and support area businesses. Printing one's own money does have a necessarily narrow scope in terms of helping the economy, but I say times like these call for creative solutions. 

Photo credit: ASPCA.com

No comments: