Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seven down, 155 to go...

One of my friends who is a huge Red Sox fan insists spring starts when pitchers and catchers report for spring training. That same person gets very upset when I tell him I don't pay attention to baseball until after the All-Star break. I just do not have the wherewithal to keep 162 games and their stats, trends and implications in my head for seven months. 

But I do have to say, the Arizona Diamondbacks are a team worth following. I have no concept of how they are doing or are projected to do this year. Not only is it way before the All-Star break, they are also a National League team, which makes them out of my loop. But a chance encounter with a down-on-her-luck fan gave the GM the wonderful idea of spreading the wealth beyond his ultra-rich players.

One more sign it's spring...I found yet another story on amphibian migration. You know, this is one of those things that you never notice until someone points it out to you then it's all you can see. This time the BBC has a brief story on a British bucket brigade taking to the back lanes to ferry a specific species of frog across the road to mating grounds. Kermit would be proud.

In a similar vein, I came across a story in the Boston Examiner that featured a retired veterinarian who provides free animal care in Tacoma, Wash. The number of patients she can see is limited, but the service is a relief to many of the area residents who are struggling and might otherwise have to give up their pets.

No comments: