Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Oh, the places you'll go...

Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Theodor Geisel took his readers to all sorts of magical, wonderful places inhabited by creatures only found in the imagination. The Cat in the Hat, the Lorax, Brown Bar-ba-loots, and Foo Foo the Snoo to name just a few (sorry, I had to).


March 2 is Geisel's birthday and this year he would have been 106 (Dr. Seuss died in 1991.). The National Education Association (NEA) has tied its Read Across America awareness and motivation program to this day, with educators and students from Sacramento to Washington, D.C. reading Dr. Seuss books and participating in Seussian activities.


The Christian Science Monitor has a brief article that outlines the NEA's program and gives a basic overview of Dr. Seuss and his works. I love his quote at the end...


In honor of Dr. Seuss, the Huffington Post has an article listing 15 of Theodor Geisel's more memorable quotes. Some of them I'm very familiar with, but I didn't realize he said them originally. My favorite just might be "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"


And finally, I would be remiss if I did not include a link to his website. Seussville.com is a great resource for all things Geisel, including a biography, resources, book catalog and fun music. There is a Dr. Seuss sculptural garden in western Massachusetts, created by his step-daughter, which I think I will visit once the plants reappear. You can check that out here. The sculptures are all bronze, but I want some nice greenery in the background of my photos. :)

(Photo courtesy of the Christian Science Monitor)

No comments: