Monday, October 12, 2009

Bizarro world...

So I'm at work on Columbus Day. Judging by my commute this a.m., I am one of the few poor saps in my fair city who made the trek. Everything is so quiet, and remarkably, I am able to get things done without wanting to bang my head on my desk. But it is still a bit weird...

In that vein, I found a couple stories via today's Yahoo! Travel regarding strange sites and theme parks from all over the world. I have a long list of places I want to see, but (Lauren, if you are reading this, please pay strict attention to the rest of this sentence when planning our trip for next summer) none of these places make it onto that list.

The first story highlights some very odd monuments sprinkled over the globe. I do want to go to Prague, but not to see Good King Wenceslas riding a dead horse. Same goes for the Calder Mercury fountain in Barcelona, Spain. Why on earth would I visit an attraction which spouts something that could kill me?

The second story starts with a profile of Stalin World and really just goes down hill from there. There are several religion-based theme parks that I wouldn't visit for fear of being struck by lightning as well as a ghost city, Epcot Center times 1000, a place to play with heavy machinery, sensory overload in Dubai and, strangely enough, Coney Island. : )

So I guess none of this is strictly "good" news, but quirky can be good, right???

No comments: