Friday, July 31, 2009

Fun and games...

It's Friday, and I'm beyond exhausted from my week of baking (and the involuntary and unwelcome habit I have developed of waking up an hour before my alarm). So I have decided to do a nice and light post that requires minimal thought on my end. Hey, at least I'm honest...

This first story is for all of us late Gen Xers/early Gen Yers. Warner Bros' website reported yesterday the reunited cast of Saved by the Bell (minus Screech) is on the cover of People, which hits news stands today. I LOVED this show when I was growing up; I never missed an episode. It's funny to me how everyone except Lisa looks nearly the same as they did 15 years ago. I do wonder, though, if they Photoshopped Dustin Diamond out of that photo dated 1989 on the cover...

I am too young to remember another TV show, The Flying Nun, but a quick Wikipedia search yielded the following: It was a sitcom that ran on ABC from 1967-70 and starred a young Sally Field as a very slight novice nun in Puerto Rico who could take to the sky with a good gust and a very stiff cornette (winged nun hat). I have absolutely no idea how this show caught on, but the story I saw recently on msnbc.com is something that did catch my attention. Sister Bridget, known as The Flying Nun for her travels around the world to help the poor, is highlighted for her work with mentally and physically disabled individuals at the Boston Home. 

What a lot of people have forgotten in the hoopla over the final departure of the Gloved One was that former Charlie's Angel Farrah Fawcett died the same day. TVLand aired a marathon of Charlie's Angels episodes the weekend after she died, part of which I managed to catch. Despite the obviously dated hairstyles, clothes and plots, I found myself watching episode after episode. There was just something very appealing about watching three strong women kick butt and still be women. That feeling appears to be universal. Someone has started the Stiletto Spy School, based in Las Vegas and New York City. It runs weekend courses for women to participate in all sorts of activities prominent in TV shows and movies like Charlie's Angels, Kill Bill, etc. It is mainly for fun, but the skills the women learn do leave them feeling feeling empowered. 

You know, even when I try to do a mixed-bag post, I still end up with a theme... :-P

(Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.)

No comments: